Celebrate the holiday season with fluffy pancakes prepared with warm spices and eggnog, then topped with a sweet-tart cranberry compote and a dollop of nutmeg-scented whipped cream.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Grill Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yields: 12 pancakes
2 cups frozen cranberries
1 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp finely grated orange zest
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp each ground cinnamon and ginger
1/4 tsp each ground allspice, cloves and nutmeg
1 1/2 cups eggnog
2 tbsp canola oil
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup 35% whipping cream
1 tbsp icing sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- Cranberry Compote: In small saucepan set over medium-high heat, combine cranberries, sugar, orange zest and vanilla. Bring to boil and reduce heat.
- Simmer for 7 to 10 minutes or until cranberries start popping and mixture has thickened. Let cool completely. (Can be covered tightly and refrigerated for up to 5 days.)
- Pancakes: Place the griddle attachment on your Kenyon Grill and preheat to medium. Whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, cloves and nutmeg. Add eggnog, oil and eggs. Stir until no dry streaks remain and batter is still slightly lumpy.
- Pour 1/4-cup portions of batter onto griddle, about 2 inches (5 cm) apart. Cook, in batches, for 3 to 4 minutes or until bottoms are golden brown and tiny bubbles form around edges. Flip over; cook for about 2 minutes or until set and cooked through. Transfer pancakes to warm oven until ready to serve.
- Whipped Cream: Using electric mixer, beat together cream, icing sugar, vanilla and nutmeg. Serve pancakes with whipped cream and compote.
Tip: To make this an adult breakfast, add a splash of dark rum to the whipped cream or substitute rum-infused maple syrup for the compote.