FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What is the difference between the Floridian and Frontier model grills?
- The only difference between the two models is the shape of the lid. The Floridian model has an oval lid, while the Frontier has an angled lid, there is no performance difference between the two lid styles so it is only a matter of preference.
What is the difference between the Frontier Grill and City Grill?
- There are a few differences between the Frontier Grill and City Grill. For starters, the City Grill operates with a knob control system and the Frontier has an electronic touch control system that has a built-in automatic shut-off timer which will turn the grill off after 60 minutes of inactivity. This means that if the temperature is not adjusted by pressing either the (+) or (-) for a period of 60 minutes, it will turn itself off to keep you safe in case you leave it on by accident! The final difference is that the Frontier features a liner in the lid which keeps its exterior from getting searing hot like standard grill lids, this is a handy feature when you have curious kids that could burn themselves by touching a hot lid. Both grills will perform the same, they have the same elements and cooking surface.
You say that the grills are “flame free” and “smokeless”, is this really true?
- In a word, yes. The reason for this is due to our patented design of the element placement. We’ve designed the bottom side of our cooking grate, and griddle attachment to have a channel in which the heating element is concealed directly underneath the grate/griddle. This placement allows for even heat transfer from the element to the cooking surface so there is no heat loss (improves efficiency as well). Exposed heating elements are the cause of smoke and flare-ups for electric grills when food drippings hit the element so the concealed element eliminates the possibility of flare-ups and allows for smoke-free grilling.
So where do the drippings go from the food?
- All drippings from grilling will fall directly into the drip tray that comes inserted in your grill.
The drip tray will still get hot, what happens when drippings fall into a hot tray, will that cause any smoke?
- In our Quick Start Guide, which comes with every grill, we recommend adding 16oz. (enough to coat the bottom) of liquid to the drip tray before grilling. This actually gives two benefits; first, by adding liquid there will not be any smoke caused by drippings falling into the water or whatever liquid you decide to use. Second, since the drip tray is in close proximity to the heating element, the liquid will get warm and start to evaporate slightly which will infuse food with moisture which keeps it from drying out, and if you get creative with your choice of liquid, you will infuse a hint of its’ flavor.
How easy is my grill to clean?
- Cleaning couldn’t be easier. All you need is wet paper towels and a pair of tongs after grilling while the grill is still warm, simply wipe across the grilling surface with the paper towels and you will remove all of the remains. If you would rather get a deeper clean, you can remove your grate/griddle and place directly in the dishwasher. While you’re at it, you might want to remove your lid (if your grill has one) and place that in the dishwasher as well. Placing the grate and lid in the dishwasher after every 10-15 uses will keep your grill looking like new for several years. Don’t forget about your drip tray contents as well! After each use you should dump and rinse out before the next use so you have a clean slate every time.
How long should I preheat my grill?
- Kenyon grills should pre-heat with the lid closed for 5 to 9 minutes on high. By pre-heating on high and then adjusting the temperature down for what you are grilling, you will reach a hotter temperature quicker and be ready for use in no time!
Can I use my grill inside?
- Yes and No. Many of our grills are UL listed and will have a sticker to let you know they are. Those models that are UL listed can be used indoors as well as outdoors. You do not need extra ventilation when using indoors because there is no smoke or flare-ups.
Can I use an extension cord with my grill?
- We do not recommend using an extension cord. The reason is that you will simply not get the power to operate your grill properly and your grilling experience will be sacrificed. If you must use a cord, use the shortest length possible and make sure that connections are secure and are not in danger of being tripped over, spilled on, or otherwise compromised during use.
What kind of coating is used on the grilling surface?
- We use a medical grade non-stick coating called Xylan XLR by Whitford. This coating is much more resilient than teflon, and much healthier for you as well. It is also PFOE and BFOA free so it is entirely harmless!
What makes the griddle a “second quality” one?
- The “second quality griddles” are actually brand new, but we receive them from our supplier with a slight visual imperfection in the coating, which is typically one or two small bubbles. This does not in any way affect the performance or capability of the griddle itself, but we cannot sell them as perfect quality units, so they are 50% off the standard griddle option.