This is a great recipe for weeknight suppers or to share when company drops in. Make your own blackening seasoning and rub it over trout fillets for a healthy home-style taco.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
4 trout fillets
1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
8 corn tortillas
Fresh cilantro leaves (optional)
Red Pepper and Pineapple Salsa:
1 red pepper, cored and diced
1 cup diced fresh pineapple
1/4 cup diced red onion
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
2 green onions, sliced
2 tbsp fresh cilantro
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp fresh lime juice
1/2 tsp salt
Blackening Dry Rub Seasoning:
2 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp packed brown sugar
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dried thyme
3/4 tsp pepper
3/4 tsp mustard powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Add 16 oz liquid to drip tray and preheat Kenyon City Grill® to high.
- Red Pepper and Pineapple Salsa: Stir together red pepper, pineapple, red onion, jalapeño pepper (if using), green onions, cilantro, olive oil, lime juice and salt. Set aside.
- Blackening Dry Rub Seasoning: Mix together paprika, brown sugar, salt, garlic powder, thyme, pepper, mustard powder, cumin and cayenne.
- Rub Blackening Seasoning over trout fillets. Grill, turning once, for 3 to 5 minutes or until fish is blackened and flakes easily with fork.
- Warm tortillas on grill, turning once, for 1 to 2 minutes or until lightly grill-marked.
- Cut trout fillets in half. Assemble trout fillets, Red Pepper and Pineapple Salsa and avocado in tortillas; fold tortillas over to enclose filling. Garnish with cilantro (if using).
- To use seasoning as a wet rub, stir equal amounts of rub with olive oil. Pat or rub over fish before grilling.
- Top save time, use canned pineapple.